- A daddy running down the street to catch the bus with a kid in his arms and a kid desperately trying to keep up.
- The running kid swooning into the street like she can’t make it (said in 8-year old, whiny voice), so much so that the bus actually slows down so as not to run over her.
- The bus following the little, running family at 1 mph for half a block in fear of a swooning kid darting out in front of it.
- The kid carried in the arms complaining, “whoo, my legs hurt!”
- A daddy’s shirt becoming a napkin as his daughter conveniently uses his shoulder to clear her face of PB&J.
- Two little girls happily dancing in the aisles of the restaurant to the jukebox music.
- A conversation that went something like this:
Daddy: Where were Abraham and Sarah headed after God called on them?
3-year old: I know, I know! Fantasy in Lights!*
Daddy: Um, no. Not quite.
- Little girls playing in the fountain and one of them coming up to the daddy saying, “Look! I made 53¢!”
- A little 3-year old seeing many cars parked along the road and exclaiming, “we should drive someone else’s car!”
- The daddy explaining to the little deviants what a jail is and who goes there.
- A policewoman flashing her red and blue lights at the daddy and chastising him for not being close enough to his little deviants while they were climbing all over a bench.**
- The daddy biting his tongue so he didn’t show his little girls first hand what jail is.
- Little girls petting dogs for going on five minutes and having to be physically dragged away by the daddy.
- Little girls stopping to smell the flowers.
- Little girls stopping to watch the ants.
- Little girls stopping to check out every. single. utility post in the yards.
- Little girls waving at all the cars driving on the racetrack, which is what the littlest calls I-395.
*Fantasy in Lights is nowhere near the Promised Land. It’s a Christmas light festival in Callaway Gardens, Georgia. Abraham and Sarah would have been amazed although thoroughly confused, having come before Jesus in history.
**No little children were harmed during the making of this Daddy Date. In fact, the daddy wasn’t even 25′ away from his children when they were climbing on the bench. This daddy and mommy try not to be helicopter parents.
4 thoughts on “Things you may see or hear during a Daddy Date”
Daddy dates are awesome. I couldn’t imagine my life without their dad being a part of it!
I really do look forward to the Daddy Dates; I am going to try to keep them as “cool” as I can over the years; I am also going to try to do more Daddy Dates one at a time so they feel the most special.
Awww … very sweet and amusing. And always wonderful to see an involved daddy. 🙂
The Fantasy in Lights comment has me tearing up…literally. That girl is just too cute!!!!