I Love You, Costco

WELCOME SITSTAS!! I’m so stinkin’ happy for you to drop by here today! If there were a video camera recording me you’d see me floating on cloud 9…or at least doing the PeeWee Herman. I can’t wait to visit each of you and leave you some luvin’. I’m sure my hubby and girls are thrilled about the sleep I’m bound to lose making friends with every single one of you. Enjoy your time here, make yourself at home, steal some buttons if you’d like. Now, on with the show!

*******************************************************************************************************

Dear Costco,

I’m writing to inform you of my new found devotion to you. Where have you been all my life? I mean, I know that you’ve been around, I’ve seen you around town, but why has it taken this long for you to introduce yourself to me?

From the moment I entered your presence I knew I was going to fall in love. I mean, who can resist floor to ceiling merchandise? At discounted prices even!?! You’ve got aisle after aisle of things I never knew I needed in bulk, until now. Like toilet paper. I’ve got enough to last me a whole year, or through one good weekend of pranks (but you don’t need to know that). And Vienna Sausages. My Ashlyn can now have her processed meat stick fix anytime she wants, and even more than once a day. I don’t have to ration any more! Thank you. I never knew I could buy that many batteries at one time. I’m not convinced that they won’t run out of juice before I use them all, but I trust you Costco. You wouldn’t let me down.

And those aisles each come with their own taste tester. I love you. They don’t even mind that I just grab a cup and keep wheeling by. I don’t really need to know how much they cost, just throw one in my buggy as I’m passing. And how none of the aisles are complete toy aisles. Yes, you give the kids a little bit to drool over. You’re smart like that. You know that if you didn’t provide at least one LeapPad or giant Halloween spider the kids would go ballistic while I was trying to taste test shop. You know me. You get me.

Costco, I can’t wait to try your grocery section. I’m in awe of how much garlic I can buy in one jar. Or strawberries. Or cheese. You have visions of cooking grandeur for me don’t you? I’ll try to live up to your expectations. And Costco, I promise that I’m going to sign up for your credit card soon. Why would I even question that it’s the only one you accept? That makes sense when you’re trying to create Costco groupies. I will have your name on everything in my wallet soon. I’m going to need that card when I decide to buy twelve tires or a whole new floor and counter tops for the house. And the car. And a trip to Jamaica. And my life insurance. What don’t you sell? You’re so entrepreneurial.

I must mention how I love eating dinner in your cafeteria after an hour or two of shopping. A girl gets hungry trying to do consumer math in her head. I mean, a foot-long hot dog and a huge Coke (so appropriate) for less than two dollars?!?! How do you do it? I don’t even care that I have to hold Ashlyn in my lap because you don’t have any high chairs. I know you don’t want to waste money on frivilous stuff.

And you’re so smart to close down at 6pm. I need to get home with enough time left in the day to unpack the UHaul truck and rearrange the house to find new hiding places for all of my bulk items. Thank you for thinking of me.

I must end this letter, Costco. It’s late and I must drift off to sleep. I’ll be dreaming of pushing that huge cart (with no less than two places for kids’ legs at the top) through all of those amazingly tall aisles, sampling all your latest goodies and piling in the toothpaste waist high.

You have my heart,

Advertisements

106 thoughts on “I Love You, Costco

1. I’ve had only one experience with Costco. I was on a biz trip in KC years ago and needed nylons and something else I had forgotten to pack. Saw one a few miles away from my hotel. As this was a rare trip where I’d rented a car, I drove down there only to find that you had to be a member.

Has that changed?

I don’t even know if there are any in our area.

2. Costco is glorious, isn’t it? We buy meat and tennis balls there because you can never have enough pork chops. Ha!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As for our year of trips ~ I’m a volunteer with our local Chamber of Commerce and if we sell enough sponsorships we receive a free trip! Last year we went on a Caribbean cruise. This year it is to an all inclusive in Cabo San Lucas so I’m super excited to just chill out on the beach with a few frozen treats! My husband is from Colombia so we are going to visit his family for Christmas/New Years. And we are planning a big European vacay as kind of a last hoorah before we begin trying to start a family. 🙂 I’m looking forward to it but it is all very new.

Keep in touch!

3. I am so very jealous of the fact that you are so close to a Costco. We live an hour away from both Costco and Sams that it’s ridiculous for us to even pay for our membership anymore. Back home, I’d shop at Sams ALL. THE. TIME. Best place to go to get goodies for a big cookout!

4. Kelley says:

We were Costco members when Jason got married and got excellent hotel and rental car deals through them. Now I am a BJ’s shopper -it’s a lot closer to home; sells the least expensive gas in town and it has my favorite – self-checkout lanes!

5. therightwife says:

Oh, how I ❤ Costco!! I shop there more than the grocery store right by my house. What is usually on my (weekly) list? An 8lb bag of frozen strawberries, A 50lb bag of dog food, A flat of 1 liter bottles of Kirkland Brand water, and a Flat of 32 oz Gatorade bottles.

I also buy all paper products there, office supplies, tupperware, dishes, glasses, appliances…. ink… what else. If I can buy it at Costco, I will buy it at Costco. Next on my shopping list? 4 new tires!

Although, I have to admit, I’m rather excited about the Super Walmart opening in town next spring – 20 minutes is along drive for Costco as often as we go 🙂

6. I LOVE Costco, too! With 7 in our family, we shop there often, and are the big rewards members! It pays us to shop there! (I’m still working the math out on that one…) We use it as a date sometimes, and have so much fun shopping the meat isle!

7. Another Sam’s girl here, though my mother tells me tales of Costco wonders and my aunt (who lives in the same area as my parents) often finds the coolest Christmas presents for all the nieces, nephews and our kids there.

Sam’s is good for the bulk TP, but never seems to have those fabled wonders like Costco, le sigh…

Cheers!

8. There’s no comparing Sam’s and Costco in my humble opinion. Though, there is no Costco in my town, I often dream of that one time I was able to grace their doors and feast on their “examples” as my kids would say. I’ve not been the same since.

9. Congrats on your SITS day. I also have a love/hate relationship with the warehouse stores. But I gotta give it up for the spaces for two kids at the top…perfect for twins. Why doesn’t every grocery store have those carts??

10. We love Costco too! Unfortunately there isn’t one close to our new place. Growing up I used to go to Costco with my grandparents when we visited them in the summer. We’d always go on a Saturday because that’s when they had the most samples and Grandpa wanted to more or less eat a meal while he was shopping! Fun days.

11. We used to have a Costco membership and I LOVED it. I miss it. I’m hoping to get a new membership before the Christmas shopping season because they have a wonderful selection of Christmas items and toys.

12. Debbie says:

Wait. You are just now discovering COSTCO???!! Oh Sister you don’t know what you’ve been missing…or maybe you do. I love it too except I can never get out of there without spending 300 dollars! Enjoy your SITS day!

13. I♥Costco too! and Sams. I go at least once a week to Costco and once a month to Sam’s. I have steered clear of “the card” though. It might just make me feel as though I have unlimited spending to do there.

14. No Costco or Sams in this little town! We do have not one, count ‘um two Wal-Marts but no Target! What’s the deal with that! I so miss Orlando and keeep my Sam’s card current for those times that I do make the 100 mile drive and stock up on TP and paper towels, some goodies for the freezer and of course my Kashi bars!

I had a rule when I lived in Orlando not to get a cart as I could only buy as much as I can carry! You may as well have at least a $100.00 bill in your purse if you walk in the door!

15. When I was visiting my mom at the beginning of the summer, we went to BJ’s (which is like Costco!) at least twice a week and it was just so fun. Now I sit here in my apartment, knowing there is a Costco around the corner, but absolutely no reason to buy in bulk right now. Very sad!

And although I bet it’d get me a membership within the hour, I do not want to tell my husband how Costco sells bulk chocolate.

16. Sunshine says:

I stumbled on this post just as I was thinking that I need to go to Costco today to yet again buy more diapers! I like your refreshing take on it, considering I recently blogged about my frustration with the place now that everybody loves it!

Now I’m off to push that big cart and see how much money I can spend on items I didn’t plan to buy! 😉

17. Andrea says:

Sigh. I keep hearing about how wonderful Costco is and we don’t have one around here. We do have a Sam’s Club and a BJ’s but I want a Costco! Once before I die I want to experience the wonder that is Costco.

18. I LOVE Costco, but since we moved, I’m not willing to drive that far for lower priced milk…bummer, traitor, I know…oh well. I will live with my ‘lack of loyalty’, but I don’t go to Sam’s either…even though it’s closer!!

19. I think I’m possibly the only woman in America who doesn’t “DO” Costco. I’ve joined a couple of times and shopped there a handful of times, but I am somone who CANNOT be trusted to shop in a store that carries groceries, AND clothes, AND BOOKS, and MOVIES. I go into overload and blow a month’s grocery budget in one trip. So I’ll just leave it a little less crowded for you and stick to the stores where I can control myself a little better!

20. Love this… I still have, after roughly 10 yrs. … 2 super-duper mega size canisters of baking soda and cornstarch. My husband makes fun of me every time he runs across them… But you never know WHEN you’re going to need a 2 gallon canister of cornstarch, ya know?

21. I used to drive to Costco. But with the rise in gas prices, I can’t justify it anymore. It is just too far away. And I am stuck with the Sam’s club. Which is fine until Costco ruined me for all others.

22. Yes–I cheat on Target with Costco. Such a shiny mecca of overindulgence :)! And you pay for the lunch? I thought that’s what the samples were for 🙂

Enjoy your SITS day on cloud 9. And thank you for making me laugh!

23. Agreed. My family has had a long (life long for me) obsession with Costco. I remember when it used to be Price Club when I was a little girl. I just went yesterday and spent waaaaay to much money. Have you thought about actually sending your letter to them? Maybe they’ll share the love with you and give you a free hotdog or a lifetime supply of TP!

24. Debbie says:

I have not joined the Costco in our nearest big town as I too think it would not be worth my money in gas to go back and forth, but I have heard that you can save money purchasing your prescriptions from Costco and you do not have to have a membership to come in and get prescriptions. I have thought about transferring mine and my husband’s prescriptions, but I know that will inevitably cause me to buy a membership, which wouldn’t be a bad thing from what I am hearing from you.

I also say “buggy.” I think that’s a Southern thing, but I may be wrong.

Congrats on your big SITS day! Love your blog.

25. My heart goes to Sams Club! I am a member of Costco, but I am thinking about Sams Club every time I am shopping at Costco. Sams Club is amazing, I can order everything online and they will have my order ready for me when I get there! I don’t even need to really enter the store with my two kids. Amazing!! But, yeah, I am a member of Costco 😦

26. What a great sense of humor you have 🙂 I’ve heard people singing the praises of Costco but, have not experienced it for myself. We have Sam’s and BJ’s…neither thrills me! Fun Post. Congrats on being a Featured Blogger. 🙂

27. We don’t have Costco, but we have Sam’s and it will have to do. I’m not thrilled with the one here, but I am quite fond of the one where we used to live. If only I could justify the 10 hr drive to The Husband!

Happy shopping!!

28. Ohhh, Costco gets another love letter! I wrote one to them, too! And when Little Miss was young, I used the cart seat for a high chair and just faced the front of the cart towards me. It worked quite well, actually.

Oh, and ummm never had a problem using up all my batteries for some reason 😉 Or cheese. Or strawberries!

29. We left Costco for *gasp* BJs. Let me tell you, it’s no less fabulous. For us it’s a necessity too, with four kids our bulk sized toilet paper package won’t even make it through the month. Congrats on the SITS feature.

30. I thought Costco was too much for a family of 2…but now I am hooked! And so is my husband!

I also love the Amex/Costco credit Card – I got $500 rebate from Amex last Feb and $200 from Costco Exec just last week!

31. Congratulations on your SITS day! 🙂
    I loved your letter to Costo, so funny! 🙂 You are a good writer. 🙂 I have a love/hate relationship with Costo. I LOVE the money we save, but always dread going because…well, because I dread going so I put it off until we have like one roll of toilet paper left…but it IS fun to go there with a smaller list! 🙂

32. My kids fight over who gets to take the weekly trip to Costco (for the food tasting of course!!) I never knew I had such little actresses before we started going there, “mmm! This is so good!” “May be I can get my mom to buy some of this!”

Happy SITS day!! Bask in your comment love!!

33. We don’t have Costco here… but we have Sam’s Club, which I haven’t been to in years!

I refuse to grocery shop with my kids anymore… wasn’t so bad when I could keep them in the buggy but they are 5 and 7 now… the 5 yr old still wants to be in the buggy and I can’t keep the 7 yr old from wandering off. Or she wants to push the buggy and runs into the shelves, me or other people.

34. Costco is the best. I love their roasted chicken … a great way to get dinner started when you shop there that morning or afternoon. I use Costco’s red cups and that’s how the name of my blog got born. Your letter to Costco is terrific — you should mail it to them. Maybe they will send you a little freebie. : )

35. What a cute letter. Love it! No Costco here, we do Sam’s but I wish it was closer. We don’t go as often as I’d like. Congrats on your SITS feature….sorry I’m running a bit behind. As usual.

36. http://andcarinsurancequotes.com says:

You can definitely see your expertise within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.